Saturday 29 November 2014

Swirl Dress Sew-Along - McCall's 5411



It's almost winter in Switzerland, and I was thinking about making a dress for cooler days from a warm and cozy fabric when Beccie from Sew Retro Rose announced her "Swirl Dress Sew-Along". Well, Beccie lives in Australia, and I guess it must be very summery there right now, so this project at first sight seemed a bit weird, but then - you can't have enough nice dresses!

Nun ist es schon fast winter bei uns in der Schweiz, und eigentlich wollte ich mir etwas passendes aus einem wärmeren Stoff für die kalten Tage nähen, als Beccie von Sew Retro Rose ein Sew-Along für einen Swirl Dress ankündigte. Nun, Beccie lebt in Australien, wo derzeit jetzt Sommer ist, und eigentlich fand ich das sommerliche Projekt etwas seltsam, aber andrerseits, kann man denn genug Kleider haben?

McCall's 5411, the Swirl dress pattern

The pattern is from 1960 and definitely out of the time-range I prefer, but Swirl dresses have been made throughout the 1940s and 50s, and I liked the wrapped part on the back, so I thought I give it a try. Especially as I recently purchased the "Fleur" dress from Hayday which is very similar and amazingly comfortable to wear.

Der Schnitt ist von 1960 und ist eigentlich so gar nicht aus meiner bevorzugten Ära, aber Swirl Kleider wurden in den 1940er und 50ern (und auch später) produziert, und der doch zeitlose Schnitt mit dem überschlagenen Teil im Rücken gefiel mir, so dass ich ihm gerne eine Chance gab. Vor allem weil ich mir vor kurzem von Heyday ein "Fleur" Kleid gekauft hatte, das ich ausserordentlich bequem finde.


I planned to use one of my vintage fabrics, as I wanted my Swirl dress to have a true vintage touch. The fabric I picked is from the 1950s, and when it arrived it was still crisp and in like-new condition. It certainly needed a simple pattern to do the generous print justice. However, on a first look it was slightly too small. The sad thing about vintage fabrics. You have only the amount you buy. Full-stop.
However, I somehow managed to cut my pattern pieces from the material I had chosen, even if I had to make the facings from a solid fabric.

Für das Projekt wollte ich einen meiner Vintage Stoffe benutzen, weil ich wirklich diesen authentischen Touch an meinem Kleid wollte. Das Material stammt aus den 50ern, und als es bei mir ankam war es in einer "knackigen" und fast neuen Verfassung. Der grosszügige Druck verlange eindeutig nach einem einfacheren Schnitt. Allerdings war das Stück auf den ersten Blick zu klein. Das ist das Traurige an Vintage-Stoffen. Man hat nur die Menge, die man kauft. Punkt. Dennoch scharte ich es, alle meine Teile für das Kleid aus dem schönen Stoff zuzuschneiden. Die Belege und das Futter der Taschen fertigte ich aus einem passenden Uni-Stoff.

Lots of feather swirls, perfect for a swirl dress! I'm really in love with the teal and purple shades.

Viele Federwirbel, passend für ein Swirl-Kleid! Ich bin wirklich sehr verliebt in die violetten und petrolfarbenen Töne.

Beccie's time-schedule for the sew-along was not too strict, and I finished my dress in time. However, I was caught by a very nastily flu, and I spent an entire week blowing my nose, coughing, drinking tea, and recovering. By the time writing this post, I'm still sick…

Beccie's Vorgabe zur Fertigstellung des Kleides war nicht zu knapp, so dass es frühzeitig fertig wurde. Leider befiel mich eine fiese Grippe, und ich verbrachte eine Woche mit schnäuzen, husten, Tee trinken und mich erholen. Während ich diesen Post veröffentliche, bin ich eigentlich noch immer krank.

Weather in this season in Switzerland usually is dreadful, and in my condition it was probably not the best idea to pose outside in a short-sleeved thin cotton dress. So after I finally convinced my dear husband to take some pictures, we decided to make them in the evening in front of the fireplace. So these photographs resemble the look of the good wives when the welcomed their husbands after work at home. In a nice clean dress, hair-style and make-up re-done freshly to please the husband's eyes. Well, I usually do not look like that.

Das Wetter zu dieser Jahreszeit ist bei uns ziemlich trist, und in meiner Verfassung war es sicherlich keine gute Idee, in einem dünnen kurzärmeligen Kleidchen draussen zu posieren. Nachdem ich meinen Mann überredet hatte, einmal mehr Fotograf zu spielen, entschieden wir uns für Fotos abends vor dem Kamin. Insofern gleichen diese Fotos wohl der Art, wie eine brave Hausfrau von damals ihren lieben Gatten abends nach der Arbeit zu Hause empfing: in einem netten sauberen Kleidchen, frisch frisiert und geschminkt, um dem Mann zu gefallen. Naja, so sehe ich normalerweise nicht aus.


I found a matching Czech glass button. And I could wear some true vintage jewelry made of enameled metal.

I had to make some adjustments to the pattern, but I generally am very pleased how the dress turned out. And - I have overcome my pocket-phobia! I am so happy with the pockets I definitely will not skip them anymore on my next projects. (Usually did so.) You may notice that the pockets I made are different from the ones on the pattern. It was an optional style that the host of our sew-along provided, and I immediately was fascinated by the special shape of them. I had to try them - and I love them!
There's still a gap on the front neckline, but I can live with it. If I make the same pattern again, I will keep that in mind.

Am Schnitt musste ich ein paar Änderungen machen, allgemein aber bin ich zufrieden wie das Kleid ausgefallen ist. Und ich habe endlich meine Angst vor Taschen überwunden! Ich bin so glücklich mit ihnen, dass ich in meinen künftigen Projekten die Taschen sicherlich nicht mehr weglassen werde wie bis anhin.
Ihr werdet vielleicht feststellen, dass die Taschen nicht denen des Schnittes entsprechen. Es war eine Variante, welche die Gastgeberin des Sew-Alongs uns zur Verfügung gestellt hatte. Ich sofort von der speziellen From fasziniert und musste sie ausprobieren - und ich bin wirklich begeistert davon!
Der vordere Ausschnitt ist etwas zu weit und sitzt nicht perfekt, aber damit kann ich leben. Wenn ich den Schnitt noch einmal nähe, werde ich das natürlich ändern.


I even tried to pose like the lady on the pattern envelope… 
I always had a fondness for wrap tops and wrap dresses (they are very forgiving), and after the sew-along I went on a hunt for another similar pattern. And look what I found! It's a similar style, a back-wrapped dress, but from the 1940s, with an amazing bodice shape. I already cut a new dress. Let's swirl!

Ich hatte schon immer eine Vorliebe für Wickeltops und -kleider (sie vergeben vieles…), und nach dem Sew-Along machte ich mich auf die Jagd nach einem weiteren Schnitt in dieser Art. Und schaut was ich gefunden habe! Es ist ein ähnliches Design, ein Kleid das im Rücken gewickelt wird, jedoch aus den 1940ern, mit einem ganz tollen Oberteil. Das neue Kleid habe ich bereits zugeschnitten.






Pattern: McCall's 5411 (1960)
Fabric: vintage cotton print from the 50s (from Etsy)
Shoes: Clarks (last time I wore them I ended up with a torn ligament…)
Button: glass button from the Czech Republic, repro
Watch: vintage from the 1940s
Jewelry: vintage (from Etsy)
Lipstick: Diva by MAC

12 comments:

  1. Wunderschön siehst Du aus und Dein Kleid auch - und an Dir sieht das Kleid eh nicht mehr nach den 60ern aus ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke Anne! :-) Ich war auch skeptisch zuerst, aber der Schnitt ist nicht so ausgeprägt im 60er Stil, und je nach Stoffwahl und übriger Aufmachung ist es ohnehin nicht mehr zu erkennen.

      Delete
  2. Ooooohh, Doris, what a timelessly beautiful dress. I love the silhouette. It's super flattering, super classic, and super pretty - much like this wonderful fabric, too. How cute that you copied the pose of the gal on the pattern package. That's really charming! :)

    Big hugs & endless happy December wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessica! Posing for pics is certainly none of my assets, and my husband (unlike yours!) is sometimes a bit reluctant to take all those pictures, so we're usually happy when it's over.

      Best, Doris

      Delete
  3. Doris! I can't wait to see your next one! That pattern is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kacy, I'm still fighting with my flu, and on the other side I have tons of Christmas preparations to do, so I'm yearning to sit down and sew finally my next dress. Ah, and I forgot to say, there's also a Christmas-y project - not quite on my working table, but in my head… :-)

      Nice to see you here - best regards, Doris

      Delete
  4. Your dress turned out so well! I never started mine but have really enjoyed seeing how everyone's turned out. I never found the right fabric for this dress. I just felt rather uninspired but what I had in the stash.
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Emily, I totally understand that life sometimes can get in the way. I made the same experience with another SAL. But I found out I usually can finish my projects better when there's some "pressure", usually when there's a dead-line to meet. :-) I don't know if I will make the very same pattern again, as it really is a bit late for my taste, but I certainly will make more wrap dresses. Truly a fabulous kind of garment!

      First I thought it's not the best idea using a vintage fabric on a pattern I have never made before, but then, all my other fabrics in the stash either were reserved for other projects or didn't have the right size. Looking back, it was a good decision and a perfect match.

      XXX
      Doris

      Delete
  5. Hello.
    I asolutely adore your dress. The pattern is amazing, feathers relax me. :)

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Marija! I think feather prints are very nice. And a bit special. Not geometric, nor floral, and you don't see them too often. Besides that, I love the colour range. I'm sure I will be wearing this dress very often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. federn sind toll, besonders als print oder am hut ;0)
    du gefällst mir so gut in dem kleid, du bist so eine hübsche und das kleid ist einfach perfekt für dich.
    ichhabe übrigens so einen ähnlichen schnitt wie der letzt gezeigte. nun bin ich auf dein nächstes kleid aber sowas von gespannt
    lg, andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liebe Frau Burow, da werde ich ja ganz verlegen bei den vielen Komplimenten... Ich bin auch gespannt auf das nächste Kleid, v.a. Weil es absolut meinem bevorzugten Stil entspricht. Und wie gesagt, Kleider kann man nie genug haben!

      Ganz liebe Grüsse ins Nachbarland, Doris

      Delete

Your comment is much appreciated and will be published after approval, thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...